Ph.D. positions are available in the ADAMS lab (for Spring 2017 and Fall 2017). A successful student for this position must have a solid background in mathematics, engineering, and computer programming. Prior experience with numerical methods, computation, and optimization, previous publication experiences, and strong communication skills are a plus.
MS Thesis and MS Project positions are available in the ADAMS lab (for Spring 2017 and Fall 2017). A successful student for this position must have a solid background in mathematics, engineering, and computer programming. Knowledge of simulation tools (e.g., FEA/CFD) and/or hands-on experience with mechatronics/robotics are a plus.
Undergraduate research (or independent study) positions are available in the ADAMS lab. Students from any department of Engineering or Computer Science are welcome. Computer programming experience (incl. MATLAB) and hands-on experience with mechatronics/robotics are a plus.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please drop me an email at email@example.com.
PhD Research Positions
- B.S. or M.S. in: Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, or Computer Science (or any other closely related discipline).
- Proficiency in (at least one) programming platform (e.g., Python, C/C++, and Java)
- Experience with using MATLAB
- Prior research experience/background (at some project level) in any of the following areas is a plus: numerical analysis, optimization, uncertainty quantification, machine learning, artificial neural networks, data mining, robotic algorithms, and optimal control.
- Prior scholarly publication experience, e.g., international conference/journal articles, is a plus
- Knowledge of any of the following engineering tools is a plus: Simulink, FEA/CFD tools (ABAQUS, ANSYS, FLUENT, COMSOL, etc.), CAD tools (SolidWorks, Pro-E, AutoCAD, etc.), and ROS.
- Knowledge of any statistical/computing/optimization tools, e.g., R, CPLEX, TOMLAB, GAMS solvers, is a plus
Masters Research Positions
Preferred Qualification: Must be an enrolled MS student in any Engineering/CS department at UB. For further information, please contact me via email, and attach your CV.
Undergraduate Research Positions
Preferred Qualification: Must be an enrolled BS student in any Engineering/CS department at UB.
Project Topics include (not limited to):
- UAV Collision Avoidance: Fabricate & use a benchtop testbed and UAV flight tests to investigate vision-based navigation and collision avoidance – urban search & rescue applications
- Autonomous UAV Battery Swap Station: Fabricate and test a new autonomous station where quadcopter UAVs can land and swap their batteries, allowing round the clock missions.
- UAV Swarm Simulation/Experiments: Perform simulation and physical experiments to test the flight of a swarm of UAVs, with specialized inter-UAV wireless communication.
- Transitioning UAV Testing: Fabrication and Flight Testing of blended-wing-body transitioning UAV.
- Building Energy Optimization: Using E+ simulation tool to develop optimum operation of building heating/cooling systems.
- Bio-inspired Design Principles: Using text mining to create a database of biologically inspired design principles for dynamic systems.