LATEST NEWS & EVENTS
- Dr. Souma Chowdhury has been selected to join the Executive Committee of ASME DAC, in August 2023. The DAC Executive Committee is a rotating group of five experts in Design Automation that organizes the DA conference (DAC) under ASME IDETC.
- New supplement funding — NSF CAREER REU Supplement (two): To support swarm robotics research of two undergraduate students (from MAE and CSE) as part of the following NSF project: ““Automated Design of Decentralized Robust and Explainable Swarm Systems (ADDRESS)“. July 2023 – July 2024.”
- Congrats! to Chris Kakis (UG junior) for receiving the $2,500 Zimmer scholarship from UB for his ongoing experimental research work on tether net systems in ADAMS Lab.
- New funding award — NASA, R&TD – Innovative Spontaneous Concepts (ISC), Physics-informed Machine Learning (PIML) towards a Real-time and Interpretable Thermal Simulator, Lead: NASA JPL, Sub-Contract: University at Buffalo (PI: Souma Chowdhury), Period: Apr 2023 – Aug 2023.
- Prajit (PhD student) and Henry (UG senior) performed an exciting demonstration of AI-based Air-Traffic Control of four drones — for over 70 attendees in AIAA Region 1 Student Conference, Apr 1, 2023.
- Congrats! to Nathan Maurer for graduating with his MS Thesis in Robotics, Jan 2023
- Congrats! to Jhoel Witter for graduating with his MS Thesis in Robotics, Jan 2023
- Dr. Chowdhury receives membership elevation to IEEE Senior Member, Sep 27, 2022.
- Dr. Chowdhury starting on his 1 month sabbatical visit at NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL), Maritime and Multi-Agent Autonomy group, Sep 26, 2022.
- Seminar Talk by Dr. Chowdhury at Rutgers University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, on “Adaptation is the Key: Scalable Robot Swarms & Robust Autonomy”, Sep 21, 2022.
- Seminar Talk by Dr. Chowdhury at NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL), on “Adaptation is the Key: Scalable Robot Swarms & Robust Autonomy”, Jul 12, 2022.
- May 2022: Chen Zeng, graduated with his Ph.D.
- New funding award — NASA, SBIR Phase II, Title: Integrated Flight Control Design and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Lead: Bechamo LLC (PI: Michael Piedmonte), Subcontract: University at Buffalo (PI: Souma Chowdhury); Period: Apr 21, 2022 – Apr 20, 2024.
- Received 2022 IEEE ICRA Outstanding Coordination Paper Finalist recognition — Learning Scalable Policies over Graphs for Multi-Robot Task Allocation using Capsule Attention Networks.
- Seminar Talk by Dr. Chowdhury at University of Illinois, Chicago, on “Adaptation is the Key: Scalable Robot Swarms & Robust Autonomy“, Apr 12, 2022.
- Jan 2022: New Seed Funding Award — SSISTL Sponsored Pilot Research Funding; PI: Souma Chowdhury, Co-PI: Ehsan Esfahani; Title: Data-driven Modeling of Human-Pilot Behavior for Unmanned Aerial Systems with Extensions to Urban Air Mobility Systems, Feb 2022 – Jan 2023; Amount: $55,556.
- Jan 2022: AIAA Scitech papers presented on: Efficient Training of Transfer Mapping in Physics-infused Machine Learning models of UAV Accoustics field, Learning Robust Policies for Generalized Debris Capture with an Automated Tether-Net System.
- Nov 2021: International Symposium on Multi-Robot and Multi-Agent Systems-2021 Learning Robot Swarm Tactics over Complex Adversarial Environments, received the Best Paper Award.
- Dec 2021: Chen Zeng, a Ph.D. candidate at ADAMS Lab, successfully defended his Ph.D. proposal.
- Oct 2021: Article — Payam Ghassemi’s Multi-Robot Task Allocation work featured on TechXplore
An Online Method to allocate tasks to robots on a team during natural disaster scenarios
- Aug 2021: New Funding Award — NSF Foundational Research in Robotics, PI: Eleonora Botta, Co-PI: Souma Chowdhury, “Modeling, Design and Operation of Robotic Tether-Net Systems for Reliable Capture of Targets“. Sep 2021 – Aug 2024.
- May 2021: New Funding Award — ONR Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning for Photonics, Power & Energy, Atmospherics, and Quantum Science, PI (UB portion): Souma Chowdhury, Collaborative with UT Dallas (lead), “Learning On Graphs for Resilience Decision-Support in Real-World Networks“. May 2021 – May 2025.
- Feb 2021: New Funding Award — NSF CAREER (CMMI/Engineering Design and System Engineering(EDSE)), PI: Souma Chowdhury, “Automated Design of Decentralized Robust and Explainable Swarm Systems (ADDRESS)“. June 2021 – May 2026.
- May 2021: Amir Behjat, graduated with his Ph.D., Dissertation: “Evolutionary & Physics Infused Learning for intelligent Systems“.
- Jan 2021: Payam Ghassemi, graduated with his Ph.D., Dissertation: “Decentralized Planning Algorithms and Hybrid Learning for Scalable and Explainable Swarm Robotic Systems“.
To conceive, analyze and design complex systems, we investigate new approaches that are founded on a fundamental notion of “adaptation”. Adaptation is realized by bringing together nature inspired principles of computation, rigorous engineering design methods, and machine learning.
Open Positions in ADAMS Lab (2022-2023):
Currently, there are two Ph.D. positions available in ADAMS Lab for Spring (Jan) 2023, in the following areas of research,
- Robot Learning
- Aerial Robot Design
- Swarm Robotics
- Physic-aware Machine Learning and Optimization
For further information on these positions, please see this flyer, or contact Dr. Chowdhury: email@example.com .
ADAMS Lab is also looking for exceptional Masters and Undergraduate students who have the motivation to excel in the below areas of scholarly research. A successful student in these areas must have a solid background in mathematics, engineering, and computer programming. Good communication skills and previous research experience are a plus. For further information, click here, or contact Dr. Chowdhury: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Fundamental areas of research in the ADAMS lab include:
- Swarm Systems: swarm intelligence for distributed search, task allocation, optimization, and decentralized cyber-physical systems.
- Evolutionary–Neural Algorithms: concurrent design of the morphological and intelligence architecture of autonomous systems; evolution of neural network topologies.
- Physics-cognizant machine learning: physics-aware hybrid machine learning architectures for dynamic systems
- Metamodeling and Multi-fidelity Optimization: automated selection and adaptive refinement of metamodels; multi-objective and mixed-integer optimization.
Major areas of application include:
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
- Swarm Robotics & Multi-Robotics
- Metamaterial Systems Design & Morphological Computing Bio-inspired Flow Modulation
- Physics Infused Machine Learning
- Neuro-evolution and Graph Learning
- Cyber Physical Systems (e.g., real-world networks)
- Urban Air Mobility aka Flying Cars
Most Recent Publications
- Paul, S. and Chowdhury, S., A Graph-based Reinforcement Learning Framework for Urban Air Mobility Fleet Scheduling. AIAA AVIATION Forum 2022, Chicago, IL, June 27 – July 1, 2022.
- Oddiraju, M., Nouh, M. and Chowdhury, S., Efficient Inverse Design of Heterogeneous Locally Resonant Elastic Metamaterials for Targeted Vibration Suppression. AIAA AVIATION Forum 2022, Chicago, IL, June 27 – July 1, 2022.
- Ghassemi, P., Balazon, M., and Chowdhury, S., A Penalized Batch-Bayesian Approach to Informative Path Planning for Decentralized Swarm Robotic Search, Autonomous Robots, 2022.
- Paul, S., Ghassemi, P. and Chowdhury, S.(2022)., Learning Scalable Policies over Graphs for Multi-Robot Task Allocation using Capsule Attention Networks. In The Thirty-Ninth IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2022)
- Iqbal, R., Behjat, A., Adlakha, R., Callanan, J., Nouh, M. and Chowdhury, S. Efficient Training of Transfer Mapping in Physics-Infused Machine Learning Models of UAV Acoustic Field. AIAA SciTech, AIAA 2022, San Diego, CA, January 3-7, 2022.
- Zeng, C., Hecht, G., KrisshnaKumar, P., Shah, R., Chowdhury, S. and Botta, E., Learning Robust Policies for Generalized Debris Capture with an Automated Tether-Net System. AIAA SciTech, AIAA 2022, San Diego, CA, January 3-7, 2022.
- Behjat, A., Manjunatha, H., Kumar, P. K., Jani, A., Collins, L., Ghassemi, P. and Distefano, J., Doermann, D., Dantu, K., Esfahani, E. and Chowdhury, S., Learning Robot Swarm Tactics over Complex Adversarial Environments, International Symposium on Multi-Robot and Multi-Agent Systems (MRS’21), IEEE, Cambridge, UK, Nov. 4-5, 2021.
- Oddiraju, M., Behjat, A., Nouh, M., and Chowdhury, S., Efficient Inverse Design of 2D Elastic Metamaterial Systems Using Invertible Neural Networks, AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition, August 2-6, 2021.
- Shah, R., Zeng, C, Botta, E. and Chowdhury, S., Launch and Closure Optimization under Uncertainties for a Tether-Net Space Debris Capture System, AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition, August 2-6, 2021.
- Callahan, J., Iqbal, R., Adlakha, R., Behjat, A., Chowdhury, S. and Nouh, M., Large Aperture Experimental Characterization of the Acoustic Field Generated by a Hovering Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2021.
- Oddiraju, M., Behjat, A., Nouh, M. and Chowdhury, S., Inverse Design Framework with Invertible Neural Networks for Passive Vibration Suppression in Phononic Structures, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Special Journal Issue on Artificial Intelligence and Engineering Design, 2021.
- Lulekar, S., Ghassemi, P., Alsalih, H., and Chowdhury, S., A Multi-fidelity Design Automation Framework to Explore Bio-inspired Surface Riblets for Drag Reduction. AIAA Journal, 2021. DOI: 10.2514/1.J059613.
- Matei, I., Zeng, C., Chowdhury, S., Rai, R., and De Kleer, J., Controlling Draft Interactions between Quadcopter Unmanned Aerial Vehicles with Physics-aware Modeling, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, Vol. 101, 2021.
- Zhang, Z., Rai, R., Chowdhury, S. and Doermann D., MIDPhyNet: Memorized Infusion of Decomposed Physics in Neural Networks to Model Dynamic Systems, Neurocomputing, Vol. 428, Pages 116-129, 2021.